Friday, March 13, 2009

Poor Baby Hootie!

Poor Hootie! He and his sisters, Hayden and Harmony, are a week old today, and he had to go to the vet. He has an infection in his eye, and it could cause blindness. The vet is hopeful since we got him in so quickly. Hayden and Harmony are fine, but we will be watching.
Now, here's the problem. The babies' eyes are not open yet, and the vet says I need to put medication in the small (microscopic?) hole where the infection is coming out. Hmmm. Well, the first indication I had that this might be difficult was the tone in her voice when she told me. Then, she avoided my eyes and said, "Well, try." Next, he has to have amoxi twice a day. They brought me a syringe about the size of a hair. Again, no one is really looking at me. The vet suggests I try a warm, damp compress twice a day. After terrifying me, they weigh the babies, and well, we're certainly not having any problems in the eating department. Harmony and Hayden weigh 8.5 ounces and Hootie weights 9.5! And here I thought they were small!
Okay, home we go. I get everybody settled, and then commence treatment. First, warm compress. Screams, shrieks, and piercing cries! Mom to the rescue - in my lap, in my face, nose 1 inch from mine, glaring and snorting. Baby down. Pet mom, try baby again. Screams, shrieks, ear-splitting cries. Mom once again in my face, huffing angrily this time. Baby down. Pet Mom. Get baby again and step outside down. Screams, shrieks, wails. All other cats in house run for cover. Dog pees in the floor. Mom flings herself against door. I get medicine on microscopic hole. Baby wailing. Mom growling behind door. I manage to get amoxi down baby who sobs. Open door, put baby down in bed, Mom promptly licks off medicine and glares at me. Redo medicine. Baby screams, Mom paces. Hold baby and snuggle; still crying. Mom clawing at foot. Put baby down with Mom. All is quiet. I feed Mom as a peace offering. Clean up mess. Wipe sweat off face. Kiss all babies goodnight. Close door. Search for other cats. Clean up dog pee.

1 comment:

  1. Ladies - it sounds like you're having as much fun as we are. We're having the same issue with 10 kittens. 6 with a mama and 4 without. the 6 with a mama are old enough to do the meds properly. The ones without a mama are very small, eyes not open yet and we're also giving them fluids. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete